October 20, 2014

Replacement troops arrive in Mindanao to fight for peace

PAGADIAN CITY: Military soldiers, from the 21st and 41st Infantry Battalions have arrived in the southern Philippines to replace marines in Sulu and other provinces in Mindanao and help fight insurgency and terrorism, a report reaching Misamis News said.

The two batches, according to the military, took over the 32nd Infantry Battalion in Zamboanga del Sur and Zamboanga del Norte and the 35th Infantry in Lanao del Norte.

They are said to also “win hearts and minds of civilians in an effort to support the government’s peace and development efforts in the troubled region.”

Brigadier General Gerardo Barrientos, commander of 1st Infantry Division, welcomed the troops who arrived here from Luzon last week.

Barrientos said the moving of units is part of the strengthening of the military forces to address the emerging threats in the region as army units are equally capable in addressing various threats and support law enforcement and many others.

Barrientos added the two Infantry units deployed in Sulu will continue the amity and peacekeeping efforts in the province since some of the soldiers sent to Sulu are natives of the province who will hopefully be a tool in creating a bridge between the local communities and the military.

The soldiers underwent a series of orientation and lectures, including cultural sensitivity seminars, and custom and traditions of different indigenous tribes in western Mindanao, to familiarize them to their new area of operation, the military commander ended.